Sunday 11 May 2014

Voulez-vous Soufflé avec moi ce soir ?

 Soufflés are such a mystery to me, I've never tried to make one, but I definitely shall (and will keep you posted).
 Yesterday, I had lunch in a french brasserie known for it's soufflés, that's practically all they had on the menu, a magnificent range of savory and sweet ones. 
This restaurant was very "typique et charmant" (#JulieAndJulia) with it's typical waiters and it's peaceful retrieved setting. Although, it was obviously quite the "place to be".
it's called Le Récamier, if you're ever in Paris.

 I thought it was brilliant how they managed to make them exciting with flavors such as Rasberry and basil (which is what I had for desert).


My mother tried the Chocolate (it's a classic for a reason ;) )!


 Basically, a soufflé is a combination of white sauce, egg yolks and beaten egg whites. It's thanks to the air trapped in the whites but also the water evaporating onto the dish that the soufflé rises so much. But unfortunately it's also the reason why : You can wait for a soufflé, but a soufflé can't wait for you !
 Apparently, this dish was invented by Antonin Carême ( also inventor of the Tournedos Rossini and the toque (the chef's hat)) around 1823 when he started working in Paris for James de Rothschild.
All I have to say is : well done Mr Carême ! Soufflés were a great invention, and they are at the top of my to do list !





No comments:

Post a Comment